Friday, September 21, 2007

Exodus 1-2

This morning on Good Morning America one of the guests was a college professor who just found out he has 3-6 months to live. His teaching has changed - he wants his 3 young children ( and his college students) to KNOW his values not just facts about his life.
I have been thinking alot about 'telling the next generation' through my study of Exodus:
Have you ever pondered what it must have been like for the people of God between Genesis and Exodus? How deafening is the silence of God?!?!?! I wonder how often and with what enthusiasm they repeated Joseph's words found in Gen. 50: "surely God will come to your aid" (and his prophetic words: 'when He does get my bones outta here!')
What did their mamas tell them about faith?
Isn't it also so very interesting the tremendous compassion revealed first in women and then contagiously invading the men - ha! Pharaoh's daughter was 'deeply moved' by seeing a breathing baby in the Nile - Wow! Moses' mom compassionately making a basket; his sister compassionately hovering in the weeds. Oh, and you can't forget the midwives who, in their compassion, tricked Pharaoh at his own game!
Then Moses' great compassion for his 'own' people - how did he know? His deep concern rushed ahead of God's call. He was ready to play deliverer before the Deliverer told him how and when. But I love the end of Ex. 2 - when Heaven begins to roar with compassion - something (Someone) is about to be stirrin' on earth!
I LOVE Exodus!

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I love your insights into Scripture. I feel fortunate to be the recipient of the fallout of your passion for Exodus.

Amy C said...

I want to read it again. I love those stories too!