Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Psalm 71

Today is my birthday and want to share a passage that I claim as mine for the next year and maybe beyond. Psalm 71 speaks my heart -- I will type through my tears - sometimes authenticity makes me cry. Just the unveiling of my heart, I guess. (I am choosing to leave out a few verses here and there.)

In You, O Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. Rescue me and deliver me in Your righteousness; turn Your ear to me and save me. Be my rock and my fortress. Deliver me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the evil and cruel men.

For You have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on You; You brought me forth from my mother's womb.
I will ever praise You.
I have become like a portent to many, but You my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with Your praise, declaring Your splendor all day long.

Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone. Be not far from me, O God; come quickly, O my God, to help me.

...as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise You more and more. My mouth will tell of Your righteousness, of Your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim Your mighty acts, O Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim Your righteousness, Yours alone.

Since my youth, O God, You have taught me, and to this day I declare Your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare Your power to the next generation, Your might to all who are to come.

Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, You who have done great things. Who, O God, is like You?

I will praise You with the harp for Your faithfulness, O my God;
Iwill sing praise to You with lyre, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to You --
I, whom You have redeemed.
My tongue will tell of Your righteous acts all day long.



Now aren't those some words to use to celebrate a 49th year of life!

5 comments:

Amy C said...

I have been so blessed by the posts people have written about you on your birthday, and now by the post written by you. I so appreciate you sharing that verse today. What a triumphant verse, it brought tears to my eyes and a big lump in my throat. God bless you and may you have the best birthday EVER. Amy

Unknown said...

And you have lived this verse so well already in your 49 years! Have a great, great time at Anamia's with your fam. Yummy.

Cassey said...

Happy birthday !

Rick Ross said...

I responded yesterday, but for some reason it didn't post. I am so fortunate to be able to share the journey with you as we proclaim to future generations the marvelous things about our God. You are incredible!

Liz Moore said...

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I realized this morning that yesterday was birthday, sorry I’m a day late! I love that psalm as well. And it means even more as I think about it being your psalm for the next year. I have seen you live through that psalm over the last 10+ years and I can't wait to watch you continue to grow and love Him more. You have always been one of my spiritual mentors and I am so thankful for "blogging". Now, even though we are not so close distance wise any more, I can still keep up with you and still be blessed by the words of wisdom and faith that God continues to give you. I love you sweet sister!