Monday, September 12, 2005

Happy Birthday, Josh

Twenty-five years ago today, my life was forever changed with the birth of our second child, our first 'man-child'. Joshua Louis Ross was born at the end of the hottest summer that has ever hit Abilene, Texas.
I did not have brothers - just one sister and, quite honestly, never pictures myself having a son. I never pictured myself enjoying dirt and sunny baseball games on Saturday afternoons. I never pictured myself signing the paperwork for my child to play a sport where they are suited up head to toe in pads with an ambulance with open doors in the end-zone, with a doctor and a trainer (who our family grew to trust more than any doctor) on the sidelines. I never pictured myself watching the man I parented with cheer after the games when our child came home to announce that he had won the Slobber-Knocker award in the Friday night game. (We had taught him, and I thought rather well, that in our family we don't hit people.) I never pictured myself having a child that played the 'monster' or the 'blood' position. (I'm still not sure I have that right.) I never pictured myself loving every minute of watching him play.
He has grown from preaching on the hearth of our living room to his older sister and younger brother to preaching from a real pulpit to sisters and brothers in the family of God.
I so identify with the verse in Luke that says that Mary treasured the things about her son in her heart. Josh, the Lord has provided so many treasures of you for my heart! Thank you for being such a source of strength and faithfulness in the last year when the road has been so hard. Thank you for being a lover of family prayer! Thanks for being a passionate sharer in gems found in God's Word!
I love you and can't wait to see how the Lord is going to use you in the years to come! He has certainly blessed this mother with your presence! You are a joy!
Happy, happy birthday!

4 comments:

Rick Ross said...

What a beautiful blog. And Josh owes so much of who he is to having a mother who hungers for God. Am I blessed or what?

jenny biz said...

Don't forget-his first sermons were done in his underoos!:)

Rick Ross said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bev Ross said...

I know - where are those pictures when I need them? Don't you think Josh could use those for in interview???? HAHAHAHAHA
Ask David if he knows how I can post those pics on this site.