Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Mentoring Relationship

I love the concept of mentoring. It is a 'hot' topic today - lots of meanings, lots of places to use the idea. The definition I use is: A mentor is someone further down the road from you, who is going where you want to go, and is willing to shed some light on your path to help you get there too. I can just see her -- a woman just a few steps in front of me, walking backwards - gracefully, holding a lantern on the road just ahead of my next step. Her voice is so gentle as she urges me and encourages me to continue following her.
I LOVE my mentors! Please note this definition says nothing about age. I have been mentored by some women years younger. I have been blessed with many. I want to carry this theme on in future blogs. But today I want to thank a few of my mentors.
My daughter, Jenny, has been a patient mentor to me: from her I learn authenticity, unconditional love, and how to grow in Christ even when you don't get your way. I love sharing life with her. She is a great shopping buddy!
My daughter-in-law, Kayci, who is teaching me how to ask the hard questions. She and I can sit for long periods of time on the beach and read and talk and laugh!
My daughter-in-law, Jennifer, who is teaching me how to be gentle, how to love people more. She emulates kindness and acceptance. I love her precious phone calls just to check on me. I love her help in the kitchen!
I LOVE my girls! We share something rare and rich!
My sweet co-worker, Vicki, draws me into Sabbath rest.
My precious friend, Judy, teaches me what it means to be servant. Her home is one of my favorite places to be!
Saturday, I was with Richardson East Church of Christ. So many wonderful sisters in the Lord. Susan is precious - so is Maria, Carla, and - wow! - so many sweet faces. There was one sister that I found myself continually drawn to because of her eyes of encouragement. I would love to sit at the feet of the older woman who sat on my right (the 2nd table back). She was giving me guidance all the way (through her eyes and through repeatedly mouthing 'amen') - to step into faith and be bold in my proclaiming of the power of Christ in transforming our lives.
My 'girlfriends' continue to hold the lantern on my path.
God, thank You for sending me powerful mentors. Please give me a teachable, spongy heart!

2 comments:

Pearson Family said...

And you have been a mentor to so many, including me. Thank you for all of your hugs and smiles, and eyes that give encouragement. What a blessing.

jenny biz said...

Amen! Thanks mom! Thank you for being a mentor in my life and for continually pointing me towards heaven and what God's will is for my life. Love ya'!