Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Boy Jesus

In the gospel written by the doctor Luke (was he Paul's personal physician?), we read the only story we have recorded of our Lord Jesus as a boy. I admit that this story brings me more questions than answers and I love the intrigue! Sometimes my questions express my confusion; here, my questions express my awe and my draw to know Him more intimately.
In Luke 2: 41, this story begins with the time and place - not unusual for a good story. This story is unveiled during the Feast of the Passover. What must it have been like Jesus to hear the story of the Passover? When He was 12, did it 'click'? What was it like watching a distracted young mother tend her children during this feast? Or a middle-aged man who had grown bored with the yearly tradition? Or was He already looking ahead to a Passover that would happen about 21 years later - the one where He became the Sacrificial Lamb? Did he know when He was 12 that He would be The Firstborn to redeem the people He was eating beside?
What was it that drew Him to the temple? What was it like for Him to sit among the teachers, listening to them asking them questions. What would Jesus question?
What must it have been like for Mary to search for her special son for 3 days? I wonder if she was trying to figure out a way to tell God that she had lost His Child?
What was the look exchanged between Mary and her oldest son when he was found? Was it a look that brought her to her knees in worship?
Just a few questions I'm pondering today as I journey to work. I want to know You, Lord Jesus!

3 comments:

Rick Ross said...

You have a way of really making me think. I would love to know what was on Jesus' mind at those moments. Incredible!

jenny biz said...

I think the look that came before the look of worship was a look that you and most moms are a professional at giving. The look that says I am going to beat your bottom when we get out of this temple, just wait till we get home!! I am seeming to get quite good at that look too!

Don't you know Mary constantly struggled between her humanity and her child's divinity. That had to have been a daily thing Mary dealt with.

Bev Ross said...

Who me???? Jenny, my precious daughter, you crack me up! On a serious note, I do see that struggle between Mary' humanity and her child's divinity -wowsie!