Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Happy Birthday, Josh!

Well, I have just a few more minutes to wish an extremely happy birthday to my oldest son - Joshua Louis Ross - better known as Josh, Joshy, or Boss - depending on who is calling him.
Today, Josh is 26. He was born in 1980, which still holds the record for the longest heat wave in Abilene, Texas.
I love to use birthdays to reflect on the treasures in my heart. With my firstborn son, there are many, many, many - so here are just a few:
*When he was little, he wanted to be exactly like his daddy -- wear a cap if Rick did, only wear zipper jeans because Rick did, sit like Rick, etc.
*He loved his Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw (my grandparents). They let him hammer real nails into a piece of wood. They let him work on all their doors. Paw-Paw chewed tobacco so Josh had a little spit can too! He still loves 'squirt cheese' and crackers - just like Maw-Maw always kept for him.
*Josh loved the Astros! That was a major bedtime issue for us! He learned his ABC's by their names.
*He loved football - could count by 6's and 7's before he could start to school.
*When he was in first grade, I got a call from his teacher - he had made an F on a spelling paper. When we questioned him, he said he felt so sorry for his friend that sat next to him who struggled in school! He didn't want him to feel alone! Compassion has always been in his heart!
*When we moved to Crockett, he was going into 2nd grade and Jonathan was going into Kinder. Jonathan had difficult time going to school. We thought maybe if Josh took him to class on the second day, he would do better. Josh had to peel his little brother's hand off his; so instead of having an unhappy Kinder son --- we now had a crying Kinder son and a crying 2nd grader. Toooooo sad!
*Beginning in about junior high, Josh turned into a major prankster! He got his teachers, principals, next-door neighbors, and even his father in on tricking me! Too many times to name here!
*He does a great Fresh Prince impersonation!
*His senior year, there was a tragic car wreck involving some fellow students. The student body was going assemble at night to draw strength from each other. Josh was called to speak and did an excellent job comforting his classmates with the Word of God.
*Josh has always had a heart for the lost. Several of his friends in Crockett and Mesquite were into the Lord Jesus.
*Watching him play football and lead his team, on and off the field, were a blessing to Rick and to me. (He and Jonathan still play flag football together - winning a game in Houston tonight.)
*He is a fabulous uncle to our precious Malaya - she adores him! (Can't wait to watch what he will do at night on our next vacation for Jed!)
*It is a blast to watch his tight bond with David, Jenny, Jonathan, and Jennifer!
*He brought Kayci into our family!
*Two years ago, when Rick and I began to catch on that things at Lake Cities were not going well, Josh rallied around us. He called us everyday. He cried with us and prayed over us. He spoke many, many words to refocus us.
*Today, Josh is known as a man of strength, tremendous wisdom, prayer, fasting, not only a gifted preacher, but a serving minister.
*Josh is a family man, planning time for us to all be together.
*He is not a middle child - he is our oldest son - a son that we are so proud to call our own.
**And he is going to be a daddy - a wonderful, wonderful daddy!

We love you, Josh, and are so proud of you! What a blessing you are to so many!

4 comments:

Liz Moore said...

What a great tribute to a great guy! I know you are so proud of him and you should be. I have prayed many prayers over Josh and will continue to do so as he and Kayci let God guide them into parenthood. God has and is using him in many wonderful ways. I can't wait to see what else he does in Josh and Kayci's lives. I couldn't be more proud of him if he were my own. Happy Birthday Josh!

Bev Ross said...

Liz, I was telling our ladies' class last night what a blessing it was to raise my children in a community of prayer. Thank you from the depths of my heart for being such a faithful prayer warrior over my children. The whole time I was discussing this, it was your face that I saw as you made note of my need. Thanks!

Liz Moore said...

I miss you!! I wish I was still in your ladies class! Even though we have both moved on to different places, I am still so thankful that at that time in my life and at that place, that God sent you and Rick to us. Your family is still one of the greatest blessings in my life. I love you!

Liz Moore said...

I noticed on Jenny's blog that your dad might be going home today. I'm so glad he is doing better! He is a very special man! And so is your mom! I have been praying for them and for you. Love you!