Tuesday, December 27, 2005

And a great time was had by all!

I love reading small town newspapers! The articles always seem to end with the line contained in this title - I just LOVE it when 'a great time was had by all' - and that describes our family's Christmas of '05! This was our year to be together on December 24-25 to celebrate! Great delight! My parents were here and all the kids! My sister and her family came over for Sunday! We all worshipped together Sunday morning - except poor Jenny who got really sick the night before - boohoo!
This time of year always brings on times of reflection -- so I want to share one of my 'ah-ha' moments with you.
When it finally struck me Christmas was on a Sunday, I moaned out loud. What a crimp it would be to have to rearrange the opening of gifts and the 'big meal' to go to church. (When your husband is the preacher, I felt it would be totally inappropriatae to .. well, you know, just not show up!) I was excited when the announcement was made that we weren't having class. But then the reflection began - is there any place I would rather be to celebrate the Lord's birth than with my family.
This last year has stirred in me a much deeper appreciation for God's idea of 'church family'. You know I have always loved it but now I really, really take delight in it. I am so grateful! So ... it was a perfect year for Christmas to be on a Sunday! So with my physical family surrounding me, I also spent a little time hugging on and laughing with my church family.
I wish Christmas always came on Sunday! The highlight: spending time worshipping the One I love with the people I hold DEAR!
Thank You, Father, for the joy of Your Son. Thank You for binding me with together with others who adore You and claim You as Lord! Thank You for the gift of Sunday; the gift of communion with You and a family; the gift of Your perfect Son - our Lamb, Whose blood links us as blood relatives! Thank You, Father, for my family!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I too had the scheduling blahs when I realized X-mas was on Sunday. But sitting at our Christmas Eve Service and worship the next morning, I too couldn't help but think what a better way to Celebrate! Bring on more Sunday Christmases!!

Bev Ross said...

Even as the preacher, I shared the thoughts of Christmas on Sunday. But what a great day it turned out to be! It felt so much like being the community of God's people Sunday! And there was still plenty of day left for being with family.

jenny biz said...

I am so sad I missed it but I am so glad we got to hang out with everyone the last few days!
And just in case anyone is wondering--the above post is from my dad--
MY MOM IS NOT A PREACHER! Though she definitely could be!