Saturday, November 26, 2005

Today is my spiritual birthday!

November 26, 1967, at ten years old, I walked to the front of our church building, in LaMarque, Texas. Bob Johnson (known to me then as "Brother Bob") asked me if I was ready to make Jesus Christ the Lord of my life - I said 'yes'. Did you catch it? I was ten years old! But I could not and I still cannot imagine my life without Him! I was blessed to grow up in a home where both my parents knew the Lord and talked of an active relationship with Him.
The push to walk down the aisle however came when, between Bible class and worship that day, Bunny Bryce firmly told me she was going to 'go forward' that morning. Well, why not today!?!?! (get it, kind of like 'why not tonight?) I knew I loved Jesus; I knew I wanted to wear His name; I knew I wanted to be clean to God; and I knew that on my own, I was stinky. I knew enough to KNOW that I needed a Savior.
After 38 years of walking with Him, I know now that I had no clue how desperate for a Savior I was. I LOVE that God does His cleansing even when we have no clue. I LOVE that I don't have to understand His love, His grace, or His mercy. I LOVE that He simply has called me to rest in them. There is nothing that I have to 'get' except that He is God and that I am not. He gets it and I don't - but I get Him! (a quote from Mike Cope at Stream, 2005) I LOVE that everytime I come to an 'ah-ah' (a time when I learn something new) moment with Him, I don't have to climb back in the water to receive His forgiveness. I LOVE that He continually cleanses me - even though I don't understand Him! My salvation is all wrapped up inHis work - NONE of my own.
I feel so blessed to have been raised in a family that honors 'spiritual' birthdays. This morning, I woke up at my parents' house (we were still there for Thanksgiving). My parents both greeted me with a Happy Birthday. What a blessing! Not only do they honor the day my body breathed its first breath of life, but they honor the day my soul was gifted with the Breath of Heaven! Thank you, Mom and Dad! Thank you for teaching me so much about the real Gift of Life!

8 comments:

jenny biz said...

Happy Spiritual B-day!! God has done amazing things with your willing spirit!

Jeff said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing that Beverly. It reminds me of my baptism and how little I knew then and how much more I can still learn now. When I was baptized, I think it was more because I knew I should than because of how great God was in my life. I know he saw a boy who wanted to do the right thing and knew He could give me the opportunities to know Him better.

The comments from your kids speak volumes about what you do in His service. Thank you for the example you set.

Scott & Erica said...

Hey Beverly,
This is Scott Meyer...you remember from way back in the old days. Talked to Rick before Thanksgiving. He filled me in on the great things going on with you and the fam. Sounds like God has been faithful. Did you know I am now the dad of twins? You can see pics of my kids on my blog.

Enjoy!
Love YA Much
Scott

Rick Ross said...

I responded to your blog yesterday, but it didn't post. God picked a winner when He adopted you into His family. I am constantly amazed at what a striking resemblance you are of the Father. I love you!!!

mezzonurse said...

beverly,
I'm a former neighbor of yours, I think. Did you once live on Monroe in Abilene, have a toddler daughter (Sara?) and sell Tupperware? That seems so long ago.
Sarah

Bev Ross said...

Ronda, I don't know how to get in touch with you so I am hoping you will check back here! I would love to hear from you and catch up. Yes, Jonathan and Jen are flying to Houston today to interview at Bammel. He did not remember at first but then I was able to 'refresh' his memory. What a long, long time. I still remember those delicious Christmas breakfast times we shared at your table! YUM!

Bev Ross said...

Sarah, I tried to find your blog but was not successful. We did live in Abilene and I sold Tupperware. I had a daughter in 1978, named Jenny, but we never lived on Monroe. When I sold the 'plastic', we lived on S. 23th. We went to church at Highland. Could it be we knew each other?

Truitt Ross said...

I'm so thankful for you. Because of your commitment to love the Lord, I am a life that was changed. You are a mentor to me in so many ways.