Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Few Minutes at Pebble Beach

We have had a fantastic time in California! Today, we rented a car again - this time heading south around the Monterrey Peninsula. We stopped to take in the Pacific every few minutes - to watch the sea lions and the birds, and, of course, use every restroom along the way - ha! On one of the overlooks, we met a couple from Tomball. Their son is the youth minister for Metropolitan Baptist Church in Houston. (What's the old saying - 6 degrees of separation, or is it 9?)
We ate a late breakfast in Half Moon Bay - I had pumpkin pancakes and we split a potato dish that was really yummy! (I am writing this so I don't forget that I really like pumpkin pancakes. Wouldn't that be delicious on Thanksgiving morning???)
Then...we started on the 17 mile scenic drive through several world famous golf courses, ending in Pebble Beach! Gorgie-porgie!! We got out and walked as much as we could without paying the $525 to play - that would be EACH! Just to think I have watched history made there! The homes around it are incredible! A man working in the pro shop told us that 3 of the homes that are 'for sale' are going for $30 million! Who has ever heard of that many zeroes????? for a house? What do these people do?
Rick has been so enthusiastic in his love for golf courses that it has been undeniably contagious! I love being on them. I love the smell! I love the crisp look of a really, really good one. I love the quiet (I know - can you believe it??) But most of all - I LOVE Rick's face when he is on one! He loved Pebble Beach and so did I!
We head home tomorrow. I should have time to finish my Nice Girls book and start The Shack.
I am excited to sleep with my own pillows tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Beverly,
I've enjoyed reading about your adventures. I found your blog through Sarah S.

By the way, make sure you don't have anything to do after you start The Shack. You won't want to put it down!

Lynn Leaming said...

Have had lots of memories as I have read your trip adventures from my time in California. Did you make it to Carmel after Pebble Beach?Big Sur is my favorite place of all the U.S. I have seen so far.
I just finished reading the Shack today, my fastest reading of any book ever as I just started it Tuesday night. I need to read it again to just digest all the nuggets in it. You are going to love it! Have a safe trip home!